Monday, October 26, 2015

Digital Blog Post #I - Chapter 4 - Learning objectives.

Three main concepts from Chapter 4 I would like to share in today’s post are academic contents, student learning objectives, and learning assessments.

Academic content is sometimes pre-established by the state and national standards. I, as a future educator, agree with this idea, since I understand the importance of teaching contents that are about the same level for specific grades, so that we have an educational uniformity across the country, while, at the same time, I would like to have some freedom and room for creativity and leadership when teaching my students.

Student learning objective is broken down in our textbook as follow: tell who is going to do what, when, how much or how often, and how it will be measured or evaluated (p. 78). Simple as that! I would not rephrase it any other way. I would plug in my class content into that equation to obtain a perfect student learning objective. Although I find old and boring to set student learning objectives, it serves as a specific guide for students and educators to be prepared for the class, and to follow teaching methods, in order to achieve the desired goals.

When it comes to measuring students’ understanding and knowledge, I would distribute learning assessments randomly before, during and after class to keep a balance and a surprise factor. I love that technology enables the educator to prepare electronic tests, and to update and share grade-keeping easily. 


Please, watch this fun video, created by "dairelyr" (myself) in powtoo.com



References:

Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

1 comment:

  1. Love your Powtoon! Yay! It is so fun to explore your new learning in these kind of tools - the K-12 students love them too. :) Unfortunately, for better or for worse, teaching is less about plugging into a formula (science of teaching) and more of the art and finesse of understanding individual student needs. :)

    ReplyDelete